Saturday 15 October 2011

Unit 1: Anatomy - Feet Studies

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last few days researching the feet particularly for this post. The feet are particularly difficult for me right up there with the hands. I decided to break them down and while I couldn't do as many as I would have preferred I think these are a great start.

Photobucket

I jumped straight into charcoal with study #1, I wanted to look at the concept of the foot from its shape as opposed to its detail. I thought this would be a nice basis to start from and while it had a rough start it ended showing the gesture that I meant it to.

Photobucket

Next came study #2 (above) I am very proud of this, looks almost identical to my own foot, which was sat out in front of me the entire time. I like the lighting on the leg leading into the foot, I also had my big toe pulled back which is why the big toe is darker. This was probably my most favourite drawing.

Photobucket

Study #3 (above) was a little more difficult to accomplish and still has a slight size issue in regard to the leg. As you can see I tried to compensate the size of the leg as I miscalculated the size of the foot on the page. I like the ankle, which I think redeems this picture somewhat.

Photobucket

Study #4 (above) was based on a formula which was taught to me by a DVD set that I use entitled "The Structure Of Man" by Riven Phoenix. I may have mentioned this DVD on my hand studies post. Basically this was a dimensional grid that slowly became a perspective foot. I was very pleased with the outcome when I sat down to do this concept.

Photobucket

Drawing 5 was another plan from "The Structure of Man" DVD set purely from a top down perspective. I have even labeled the primitive shapes which signify some of the relevant bones in the foot. Turning bones into primitives is one of the quicker ways to conceptualize a human being & these grids help with that.

With all of the above being said I am a little gutted that I couldn't have more of these done by D-Day, I think I could have brought about some more decent sketches in that time. Still I think what I have given above is a great start and I really cannot wait to do more with this technique.

Over & Out,
xXStItChXx

No comments:

Post a Comment