Sunday 2 October 2011

Unit 1: Anatomy - Sketching/Anatomy Research

Hello Everyone,

The third post today someone must have spiked my red bull... wait that sounds wrong. I have been on a researchathon all day, I want to draw more from what I have already created. I'm hoping to expand out to some additional poses that showcase the sadness of my character.

This morning I took a dive into some books that I borrowed from the Library the other day. There was a lot of insightful stuff, a few key elements I have photo copied so that I can refer back if I ever forget the principles.

Photobucket

Figure 1

Figure 1 is from the book "The Artists Guide to Human Anatomy" and was a very interesting take on anatomical drawing. They elaborated on one of my earlier posts (blocking in colour black vs. white values etc). Which I found very interesting the above image demonstrates how this is broken down once a light source has been established, this is what they want us to do in life class... I'm just breaking it down for myself. Even "Photoshop Phil's" ideal of building from a silhouette has the same ideal its just reversed...

Photobucket

Figure 2

Figure 2 (above) is from the same book "The Artists Guide to Human Anatomy" which I felt demonstrated the skeletal structure very well. It inspires the use of primitives to create a general skeleton set in perspective. When you look at the body that's pretty much what it is, if you have a specific person in mind you refine the features till you achieve that likeness. Generally down to our nuts and bolts we are the same.

Photobucket

Figure 3

Figure 3 (above) is from the book "The Artists Guide to Animal Anatomy" which showed various comparisons to animals (just my luck Walrus wasn't in there). I decided to take this chance to study how we became human from apes to somewhat understand how a form of evolution could continue (in my case to a Walrus Hybrid). To understand where we came from is to understand where we could go... I'm not saying there will be an age where we and other animals merge, I just think its ideal for any concept to understand the phenomenon.

Photobucket

Figure 4

Figure 4 (above) is from the same book "The Artists Guide to Animal Anatomy". Which examines the proportions of "us" now compared to "us" back then. It also had a nifty little front on perspective meaning if we were ever to model this skeleton we could and be completely anatomically accurate. I think I went off on a tangent. Anyway these books are a great grab for anybody looking to understand the inner workings of the body.

Photobucket

Figure 5

Figure 5 (above) was from the book "Sketching Animals" in an attempt to understand how to gesture my Walrus counterpart. This process is based more on the drawing side of animals. I had no choice but to lobby for a seal as I could not find a guideline for Walruses, I guess they are not as popular as horses (or Giraffes). However the form is present so I guess that will be enough for now.

Photobucket

Figure 6

Figure 6 from the same book "Sketching Animals" was handy namely for the observation details of the creature. The book provided details that were a handy thing to note. Even pencil choices for specific jobs (i.e. for the eyes a 6b pencil) details I can appreciate being a person of precision. I only wish they did this for the Walrus, oh well.

This concludes my research spree for this evening I still have a green light review to finish and creative partnership to document over on Gabriel's blog. I hope I get sleep tonight.

Anyway take it easy people.

Over & Out,
xXStItChXx

1 comment:

  1. Yeah it's a shame the walrus isn't as loved as the cute seal but all the more reason to put in tragic emotion into your hybrid I guess. :P
    Ps: If you're interested in a book on figure drawing I recommend Burne Hogarth's "Dynamic Figure Drawing". It's helped me bucket loads when I need help with drawing a difficult pose and shading.

    ReplyDelete