Sunday 20 January 2013

Unit 8: Character - "10 Waves" Final Roughs - Hero: Clare Read

Hello Everyone,

I'm booming back with so many updates and hardly any time to catch my breath. I spent the last week in Cambridge as some of you know the room wasn't bad and we met a few familiar faces... (Yes you know who you are). Anyway I spent most of my spare time working on the ever famous "Robot Pirates" theme for our Character Unit. A lot of soul searching has occurred but suffice to say I have a very good understanding and hopefully a decent body of work to show to you guys...

Mainly I just have to muddle through bits because some were done in the sketch book and some were done on a laptop, the ipad even got used for it at some point... but you understand. I just have to sit down and collate everything, I'm aiming for a few posts per day so I can meet my deadline next Tuesday... Anyway sit back and enjoy!!


First of all allow me to introduce you to the new logo for the project, the last one was waaaaaaaaaaay too futuristic and not old school enough. This one speaks volumes about the theme, it then occurred to me that 10 is X in numerals so the next logical thing was to make a mini map with an X marks the spot on it... It just sounded like a complete stroke of genius and it just fell into my lap really... I kept wondering why I liked the name "10 waves" now I know maybe...I added a touch of French to as this tale takes place on the French coast on the "Lucid Dream"...


Figure 1 (above) shows the final sketching stages of my Hero "Clare Read" (previously Evaline Alvilda - the name change was due to another famous female pirate being called Mary Read and Evaline just never really felt right). The faces above are not all the ones I drew but they are basically the key stages. The head to the top was first I then played again with Mech for the right and then really liked the results of the bottom right... I threw some action poses in while someone was talking as well just so I could see how she would move in a fight...


Next (Figure 2 - above) I journeyed further inward isolating the head using perception tests from Andrew Loomis's Figure drawing book (pick it up if you haven't its awesome...) The sphere for the head was basically what gave me my brainstorm about the transformation phase firstly for Pete (my Villain) and later for Clare. I then ran some mock base figures to get accustomed to mass I settled on the comic book Style (petite, etc - Largely thanks to the talented Artist Warren Louw). I then turned her around and broke it down...


Last but not least came my little motion tests (Figure 3) , I remembered discussions with Justin about flow so I found myself just going with the line and adding what I could where just to see if I could make my poses less static. I was pleased with some of the results I came up with... The ones on this page were among the best and were more or less where I saw her movement taking her throughout her transformation stages. The chains themselves were so much fun to move around and I love how cool they look basically...

None of these were specific I just ran with the figure I had chosen and it produced some effective results, If anything I think this Unit has improved my drawing ability so I am very grateful for Justin and UCA for that... I also got a few pointers from my business partner... Thanks to all I am gradually becoming more pleased with my ability here...

Anyway I have 2 other posts to make for my other characters tonight, I will be uploading more and better developments tomorrow..

Take it easy,
xXStItChXx

No comments:

Post a Comment