Monday 14 November 2011

Unit 2: Space - Thumbnails 101 - The Desert Of Colours (54-66)

Hello Everyone,

Got some more thumbnails which are now going all digital... Some are very simplistic but its a desert I don't think it can be too complicated otherwise it wont be believable as the Desert Of Colours...

I only have a few thumbs remaining for this project - my final journey of exploration. The Ivory tower and The Silver City will be coming tomorrow, I left this till late but I have a few nice ideas for these concepts.

Anyway on to the Thumbnails...


54 was my initial concept I thought showing ledges in a desert could be a possible approach I liked the idea of a broken bridge that lead to a cave... This concept just struck me as something very interesting...

55 was another look at a bridge in a desert but one that hasn't fallen away. Then looking at it another way I noticed it could be stairs, I like the low angle of this shot maybe it should look up a little but I like this perspective...

56 was a shading test more then anything... I was a bit fed up of my rocks looking flat, just a depth test but it was still a thumb and i understand the concept a little better now :)

57 was experimenting with god rays... I imagined a rock structure with a hole in it next to old fashioned columns (possibly a fallen city). The light gleaming on a pedestal of sorts... not sure what to put there but I liked what the image made me feel... epic.

58 was a mark of genius the foreground I custom made with some nature brushes (i.e. plants etc) I set rock structures in the distance the unusual rock shapes were taken from Phil's suggestion of alternative rock structures in countries like Turkey, etc...

59 was inspired purely by.... wait for it... the Lion King. Notice the protruding rock? I built that and then I thought hmmm this scene could be at night... tried it and loved it.


60 was my idea of a doorway leading into the Desert Of Colours... like turning the page in a book.

61 was random block shapes by a run of galaxy brushes, before I knew it these two massive protruding surfaces appeared with a massive gleaming light above. It is basic but this is my favourite....

62 was following the same principles as 61 this image could do many things, it could be looking down at a road below or a cave opening, take your pick...

63 was more blocks of colour but I structured this more adding in colour this idea was more for houses built in rock faces, one of the many rock inspirations I have been looking into...

64 was a outdoor version of 60 with sand pouring out of it, not as effective quite boring but I had to see what it would look like...

65 was my idea of looking down a cliff to see individual groves and the distance of death...

66 was a far away shot of a rock formation in a desert with a close haven of forest greenery (again taken from Phil's advice).

Well that concludes the thumbs for the Desert Of Colours... my final thumbs will consist of the "Ivory Tower" & "The Silver City"... I have to say I'm looking forward to getting down to my studies to refine my final direction.

Over & Out,
xXStItChXx

No comments:

Post a Comment